http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBW7wtIgMWE
This video, inspired by Chelsea Clinton's upcoming marriage to her Jewish fiancee, had me thinking seriously about the issue of interfaith relationships. As the video comfirms, the key aspects to making a successful cross-culture relationship work include: compromise, discussion, and carrying out the agreements, especially when others like children or relatives become involved. I believe that as long as the woman I'm with can accept my religion, as well as my suggestions for incorporating that into our personal lives, then we've already cleared a very difficult step. As it is, I'm currently getting to know a liberal girl who, while being very politically outspoken, is also enthusiastic, kind, and encouraging towards me in everything else. I wouldn't give up what I consider to be essential to my well-being, but I wouldn't enforce it on her either.
I think that knowing a person's culture before visiting can be a helpful tool for subtle communication and domestic respect. As Dave Stacey learned in 30 Days, his research of Muslim culture helped him not only to blend in, but also to befriend the people he was visiting, and even leave a bit of an influence on them as well. However, I also believe it's important not to rely on cultural generalizations as a means of discussion. For one thing, it presses a characterisitic onto them they may not necessarily have themselves. And they might also be ashamed or take national issues very seriously if they are brought up. It's best to wait until a cross-cultural friendship has really bloomed in order to bring forth such discussion.
No comments:
Post a Comment